CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE: A GREAT CAREER OPTION
Are you a young job seeker who needs to break through the labor market and get employed? Why not consider customer services as a career option. Customer service is one of those jobs that won’t go out of fashion in a long time. You want to know why? Wherever there is business, customers will always need to be served and cared for in a special way. That need has created a business function and job called Customer Services.
WHO IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE?
A customer service representative is a vital link between an organisation and its customers. A Customer Services Representative interacts with a company’s customers to provide them with information to address inquiries regarding products and services. In addition, a ‘CSR’ take orders, respond to customer complaints, and process returns/refunds. For instance, a customer representative may assist you in opening an account or help you to resolve a problem if you cannot access your account or if your order never arrived.
WHO HIRES CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE?
Virtually all kinds of organizations require a Customer Service Representative especially service companies. Specifically the following organizations use lots of ‘CSRs’
- Banks and Insurance Companies
- Retail and Mega Stores
- Travel Agencies
- Utility Companies (Water, Power)
- Telephone Companies
- Internet Service Providers
- E-Commerce Stores
- Manufacturing Concerns
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES OF A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE?
Generally the customer service representative provides support to the sales team. Some of their specific duties are:
- Opens new Accounts
- Handles Complaints and resolve issues
- Make changes to customer account details
- Responds to Inquiries and generate sales leads
- Take orders and ensure orders are processed and delivered
- Determine charges, and oversee billing or payments
- Processing Transactions
- Cross-Selling existing clients
- Champions New Products or automation
- Responding to inbound Telephone
- Migrating customers to new mobile platform
- Conducting Customer Satisfaction Surveys
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS OF A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE’S JOB?
The general requirements for securing a Customer Service Representative’s job include but are not limited to the following:
- A minimum of O’level results with 5 Credits (English & Maths inclusive)
- A National Diploma in Business Administration or any Social Science
- Some big Organizations insist on a first degree in social sciences or humanities
- Good Oral and written Communication skills
- Computer literacy (Microsoft office Suites)
- Good interpersonal relation skills
HOW MUCH DOES A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE EARN?
That depends on the industry but generally Customer Service Representatives are well remunerated because of their support to the sales team and the value they add to the organisation. The Gross Pay of an average Customer Service Representative ranges between N600,000 to N1,800,000 per annum depending on a number of factors. The notable factors you need to look out for are:
- Size of the organization,
- Location of the office,
- The industry category,
- Academic qualification of the CSR and
- Relevant work experience and grade
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CAREER PATH OF A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
A Customer Service Representative works in customer centres like the telecom experience centres. Some work in divisional offices like PHCN undertaking offices. Some work from home. Basically CSR use their telephones and computers a lot to interact with customers. They have access to accounts and are expected to help clarify customers’ complaints and resolve them. A good CSR has the opportunity to transit into many roles within an organization depending on his/her ability to learn and acquire new skills. A good customer service rep may become a team lead, business manager or director of services. A lot depends on aptitude, education, experience and passion.
So if you choose to become a Customer Service Representative you can later advance your career in:
- Sales & Marketing
- Relationship Management
- Business Development
Now that you know what Customer Service Representatives do, are you willing to pursue a career in that direction? Let Proven Ability help you develop the required skills one day at a time. You can do that right from the comfort of your home via our Proven Job Board. In our next post we shall discuss the Duties and Qualities of a Good Customer Service Representative.